Thursday 14 January 2010

Myers: Cheshire can beat the odds in BBL Cup final

Cheshire Jets' veteran forward Shawn Myers believes that his side can upset the formbook when they meet Sheffield Sharks in the BBL Cup final on Sunday.

Sharks have won all three BBL Championship meetings this season, but the evergreen 40-year-old hopes that Jets can produce yet another shock.

"They're our bogey team at the moment, but it's something that really worries me,” he said. “It takes a lot to beat a team four straight times, so if you ask me who I'd rather play in the final, I'd say it would Sheffield - and I like challenge that they pose. We have nothing to lose, we have it all to gain, and that makes it harder and tougher on them.

"I think when they play us, [Mike] Cook and [Ryan] Patton are the two guys that we struggle with. They're the key players, but they still have the likes of Tafari Toney and Todd Cauthorn who make the shots when they're left open - so we need to keep an eye on them."

Myers is also excited about the prospect of playing in another final as his career drifts towards its conclusion.

"I've played in a couple of finals, Newcastle beat in the Trophy one year, and I won the play-offs with the Rocks,” he declared.

”But to get here is huge for us, and shows the progress we've made.

“After the problems we've had this season, we've done really well to find a way to win. It shows what a team can do when it plays to its strengths."

.

No comments:

Post a Comment