Wednesday 11 August 2010

Drew Sullivan wants to mark Great Britain caps record with victory in Bosnia

Great Britain captain Drew Sullivan has insisted that he wants to mark his record 50th cap with a win against Bosnia tonight in Sarajevo.

The Newcastle forward, who has been in sparkling form, is set to overtake Bill McInnes’ long-standing mark for the most GB appearances in the European Championship qualifier in Sarajevo.

However after remaining unbeaten in their opening two ties against Hungary and Macedonia, Sullivan – who is just one cap in front of Nate Reinking - claims a victory would put Chris Finch’s men firmly on track to reach next summer’s finals in Lithuania.

“It’s a great honour,” he said. “Nate’s only one behind me but it’s pretty special to get the record. The main thing is that we beat Bosnia and go 3-0. It would put us in control of the group. But we when you see the teams ahead of us, we know everyone’s competitive so we have to continue to push right to the end of the qualifiers. We’re looking to finish up 8-0 or 7-1.”

Finch concedes he is looking for a greater contribution from his reserves, with Kieron Achara responding to criticism from the GB coach by hitting a critical three-pointer in Sunday’s overtime victory over Macedonia.

“It was a confidence booster,” said the Scot. “It’s something I know I can do but that I haven’t been doing. If the shot’s there, I’ll take it and I’m confident I’m going to make it. I just have to concentrate on doing the little things I need to do to help the team win.”

.