Thursday 1 October 2009

Finch - I'm sticking with GB

Great Britain head coach Chris Finch has confirmed that he has no plans to step down from the role, despite accepting a job in America. The 38-year-old, who was in charge of the national side at this month’s Eurobasket finals, is to take charge of Texas-based NBA Developmental League side, the Rio Grande Vipers, after quitting Belgian club Mons.
“It doesn’t affect things,” Finch said. “I cleared it with them before I took the position that I could continue with GB. I think it can even enhance it. Yes, I lose a little bit of my connection with Europe but it allows me more time in between seasons to better prepare. I can still come to Europe in the spring and I’ll have more time to see players without being pinned down by my club schedule.
“It allows me to develop my relationship with Ben Gordon and be more regularly in touch with Pops (Mensah-Bonsu) and Luol (Deng). In terms of my own development, the D-League is pretty game-intensive. It’s a different kind of game and there’s a lot more control given to the coach which will be beneficial. I don’t see too much of a negative. I was very sensitive to GB but they’ve offered their support to my development as a coach which is great.”
Finch will coach the opening game of Mons’ Belgian League campaign this Saturday before leaving for his formal presentation in Texas.
“The timing’s poor but there’s never a great time to leave a job you enjoy,” he conceded. “I’m very sensitive to it but Mons have been great with me.”
The former Sheffield coach will travel to London on Monday to attend British Basketball’s post-Eurobasket debrief. A recommendation that changes are made to Finch’s backroom staff is expected to be on the agenda, with influential figures thought to be in favour of adding an experienced international coach as an assistant ahead of next summer’s GB programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment