Thursday 3 June 2010

Rob Yanders ready to fight for Great Britain place

Just four weeks after receiving his UK citizenship, Glasgow Rocks captain Rob Yanders has set his sights on leading Great Britain to glory in the 2012 Olympic Games, even if the route passes through his native USA.

Milwaukee-born Yanders is set to link up with GB for the first time next month after coach Chris Finch handed him the chance to fill his troublesome point guard slow.

The 31-year-old admits that playing in the summer’s European Championship qualifiers will be a massive step up in class from the British Basketball League. However he believes he’s ready for the challenge of earning a spot in the final 12-man squad.

“Playing internationally will be a higher level and I’m excited about playing with talented guys,” Yanders said. “But I have to give myself credit. I’m on the same level mentally. And in the BBL, I’ve wrecked it.

“I am backing myself to make the team. That’s not being cocky but if I don’t back myself, who will? I’ve spoken to Chris. Nothing’s guaranteed but he’ll give me a fair shot. Hopefully, he’ll keep me around and I can get used to playing at that level again and run myself all the way to 2012.”

Yanders is also eligible to play for Scotland if his GB dreams fall through and he is keeping the door ajar.

“I’ve been here five years and Glasgow is my second home now,” he said. “So representing Scotland’s something I wouldn’t rule out.”

.

No comments:

Post a Comment