Thursday 6 May 2010

Chris Haslam to retire

Former Great Britain international Chris Haslam is set to retire following Saturday's BBL play-off final, 13 years after making his debut for Birmingham Bullets.

The veteran Southport-born centre played in mainland Europe for several years before returning to the domestic league three years ago with Everton Tigers.

The winner of over 60 caps for England and GB, Haslam, now 35, made his last international appearance in the 2007 European qualifiers.

"It's just time," said Haslam. "I'm way too old to be chasing 20-year-olds around. This is my 13th pro season, I'm 36 next month and my body's breaking down, especially since I had knee surgery two years ago. I just can't do what I used to do."

Haslam - who attended the University of Wyoming - signed a three-year deal with the Tigers but it is understood that the club was not prepared to offer him a new playing contract. However, he could yet remain on Merseyside.

"I've spoken to Tony Garbelotto and (Tigers chairman) Martyn Best about next season and the possibility of being assistant coach," he revealed.

"I've been coaching the Academy side this year and I'm definitely looking to get into coaching. I might also look at any opportunities there are in the States in the college system."

.

No comments:

Post a Comment