Saturday, 17 July 2010

Under-20 women close on quarter-place

GB Under-20 women made it two wins from as many games as they won a thriller 54-50 against Hungary on Sunday.

The victory takes Damian Jennings and his team to the brink of qualification for the quarter-finals of the European Championship B Division.
In a tight game, GB held their nerve down the stretch, with free-throws from Katrin Chiemeka, Miari Buchan and Tamzin Barroilhet sealing the victory.

Chiemeka led all scorers with 11 points, backed up by Kristie Sheils' ten and seven from Charlotte Stoddart. Buchan had a quiet game offensively with five points, but pulled down eight rebounds as GB won the battle of the boards 29-27.

Mary Durojaye finished with six rebounds and as many points, while Barroilhet had five boards and four assists to go with her six points. Only Nikolett Sarok finished in double figures for Hungary with ten points, while Lilla Horvath added eight.

Alexandra Theodorean gave Hungary the lead, but scores from Baroilhet and Miari Buchan put GB in front.

In a sign of things to come, it proved to be a tight period, with GB ahead for most of it before back-to-back M Sipos treys gave them an 18-15 lead with 97 seconds remaining - but it was Charlotte Stoddart who had the final say by sinking a buzzer-beating three to send the teams into the first break level at 20.

The teams were still tied at 24 after six minutes of second quarter action, but treys from Chiemeka and Sheils put GB 32-29 ahead going into the final two minutes of the half and a single Kashmere Joseph free-throw sent them into the locker room with a 33-29 lead.

The GB run was extended to 11-0 as Durojaye opened the second half scoring, followed by scores from the Land of Plenty by Chiemeka and Sheils.

A timeout from Hungary had only limited effect before they scored their first points of the half with a Sarok jump-shot, and that launched an 8-2 run which saw them make it a six point game going into the final two minutes of the period.
Chiemeka ended the run from the foul line, but it was a Stoddart jumper which sent GB into the final break with a 48-43 lead.

Sarok cut that lead with the first score of the final period, and Horvath left the game with 6:28 remaining, Stoddart's reintroduction paid an immediate dividend as she drew her fifth foul.

Incredibly, though, Britain were scoreless for the first nine minutes of the stanza as a Rujak score followed by a R Balint trey put the Magyars 50-48 ahead going into the final minute.

That proved to be the final time Hungary scored, though, and Sheils levelled the score with 57 seconds on the clock.
Chiemeka put GB up by two 43 seconds from end with a pair of foul shots, and after Sarok missed a shot with 25 seconds remaining, Buchan grabbed the rebound and was sent to the line.

She hit one from two to make it a three-point game, and Kovalcsik turned the ball over with three seconds remaining, and Barroilhet wrapped it up at the foul line.

Britain continue their push for promotion on Sunday evening as they face tournament hosts Macedonia.


No comments:

Post a Comment